S.W. Stingrays Practice Group Descriptions and Advancement Criteria
South Whidbey Stingrays
Orca (8+ yrs.)
The Orca practice group is geared toward the swimmer who is new to swim team and is 8 years and older. In this practice group, swimmers will learn the basic skills such as breath control, balance, kick, and timing of each of the 4 competitive strokes.
Swimmer must be able to swim 25 yards of freestyle, face in water with side breathing, 25 yards of backstroke and have some experience with breaststroke and butterfly.
Bronze (8+ yrs.)
The Bronze practice group is our developmental group geared toward swimmers 8 years and older. Swimmers will learn the basic skills such as breath control, balance, kick, and timing of each of the 4 competitive strokes. They will be introduced to flip turns, pace clock and intervals.
Swimmers must be able to perform the following:
- 25 yards of Breaststroke
- 4 x 50 Free, RI=:15, without stopping
- 2 x 50 Back, RI=:15 without stopping
- 25 yards of Butterfly
Silver (11-18 yrs.)
Swimmer is 11-18 years old and must be able to perform the following:
- swim 100 IM with no disqualifications
- flip turn
- can perform 8 x 50 free @ 1:15
- perform simple freestyle and stroke drills
Must have coach’s permission to swim in this practice group.
Gold (13-18 yrs.)
Swimmer is 13-18 years old and must be able to perform the following:
- swim 200 yards of freestyle with flip turns
- swim 8 x 50 free @ 1:00
- 50 Yards of Butterfly
- can perform a legal breaststroke pullout
- perform more complex freestyle and stroke drills
Swimmer must have coach’s permission to swim in this practice group.