S.W. Stingrays Practice Group Descriptions and Advancement Criteria
South Whidbey Stingrays
Green (6 + yrs.)
The Super Swimmer practice group is geared toward the swimmer who is new to swim team and is between the ages of 6-8. In this practice group, swimmers will learn the basic skills such as breath control, balance, kick, and timing of each of the 4 competitive strokes.
Swimmer must be able to swim 25 yards of freestyle, face in water with side breathing, 25 yards of backstroke and have some experience with breaststroke.
Bronze (9+ yrs.)
The Bronze practice group is our developmental group geared toward swimmers 9 years and older. Swimmers will learn the basic skills such as breath control, balance, kick, and timing of each of the 4 competitive strokes. They will be introduced to flip turns, pace clock and intervals.
Swimmers must be able to perform the following:
- Rudimentary Breaststroke
- 4 x 50 Free, RI=:15, without stopping
- 2 x 50 Back, RI=:15 without stopping
- Body Dolphin with legs together
Silver (11-18 yrs.)
Swimmer is 11-18 years old and must be able to perform the following:
- swim 100 IM with no disqualifications
- flip turn
- can perform 8 x 50 free @ 1:15
- perform simple freestyle and stroke drills
Must have coach’s permission to swim in this practice group.
Gold (13-18 yrs.)
Swimmer is 13-18 years old and must be able to perform the following:
- swim 200 yards of freestyle with flip turns
- swim 8 x 50 free @ 1:00
- 50 Yards of Butterfly
- can perform a legal breaststroke pullout
- perform more complex freestyle and stroke drills
Swimmer must have coach’s permission to swim in this practice group.